Reflection

    Few days ago there were elections to local governments in Poland. The thing that really made me concerned was the frequency of people who voted. It was just 52,15% and it was actually the best score since the fall of communism in Poland. It truly bothers me why just a half of the country goes to vote and I wonder what could be a reason for the other half not to go there. I mean, are there SO many people who don't care about the welfare of their country? I know that for some people neither of candidates meets their expectations, but I think at least voting on the "less evil" is better than not voting. I think not voting is kind of an ignorant attitude. And for example in Spain or Germany the average frequencies are above 70% and I wonder what makes their frequencies so much better than ours. Is Poland a society of ignorants?

Komentarze

  1. There a some historical and sociological explanations, of which the most convincing is the low level of trust Poles have for each other (politicians and public figures included) and the low development of the so called civic society (getting together and organising ourselves in order to achieve a goal - build a road, solve a local pollution problem, etc.)
    It's hard to believe but even the referendum in 2003 on whether Poland should join the EU made just 59% vote, even though it lasted two days.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. I wonder what would it take to convince that other half to start voting. I'm starting to doubt that even dropping out of EU would be enough.

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Loneliness

Reflection

Homeopathy Explained – Gentle Healing or Reckless Fraud?